Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Brian Maguire <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kevin Barnard <kevin(dot)barnard(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date: 2004-10-27 18:08:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:10:04PM -0400, Brian Maguire wrote:
> Thanks. We do have it set to 15 mb. I would think that 16 mb would not
> make a big difference. Do you have any other ideas?

Huh? No, you have it set to 15 *segments*, each of which is 16 MB long.
Maybe setting it higher will help you, but maybe it won't, depending on
wheter there's a checkpoint run when the system is in a somewhat idle
state.

Oh, you may also want to increase checkpoint_timeout, so that
checkpoints are run less frequently.

But then, checkpoints will be run less frequently and they will take
longer. If you do have idle or low-load periods, try to run a
checkpoint when they occur. Else you may need faster disks ...

"This is a foot just waiting to be shot" (Andrew Dunstan)