Re: Why is abstime type deprecated?

From: Kilian Hagemann <hagemann1(at)egs(dot)uct(dot)ac(dot)za>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why is abstime type deprecated?
Date: 2004-10-27 15:08:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Because it will certainly break by 2038, when 32-bit time_t overflows.
>
> In practice, Unix systems will have to move to 64-bit time_t before
> that, and we'll probably either remove abstime or make it an 8-byte type
> as soon as that practice is common.

Thanks for that. By that time my storage requirements will certainly have
changed, but I guess this transformation won't happen in a hurry... I'd like
to see abstime supported until at least 2020.

I have, and it doesn't have an entry on this. Don't know who maintains the
FAQ, but I think it would be worthwhile adding this issue to the FAQ.

--
Kilian Hagemann

Climate Systems Analysis Group
University of Cape Town