data not getting inserted into table

From: akanksha kulkarni <akanksha_kul(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: data not getting inserted into table
Date: 2004-10-21 13:51:56
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I am trying a simple insert command with select
statement (Insert into <table> (<column list>) select
<column list> from <table>).
The data to be inserted is around 1 GB.
The problem is that at the end of the insert
operation, data is NOT inserted.

I was monitoring target table file size and it was
getting increased during the operation. However at the
end of insert operation, the size has returned to old
size.
I changed some parameters in postgres configuration
file which are as follows:
checkpoint_segments=20
sort_mem = 16384
checkpoint_timeout=500
This I did because during earlier operations, I was
getting message "too many checkpoints. Consider
increasing checkpoints_segments"

So please can someone tell me why data is not getting
inserted in table?

Thanks,
Akanksha Kulkarni