Re: portal code changes

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: portal code changes
Date: 2004-10-21 02:16:32
Lists: pgsql-www
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 15:53, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > I'm planning to shuffle some of the content around in the new portal and
> > rename the menu items accordingly... the new menu would look like:
> >
> > Home (the home page w/ news, events)
> > About PostgreSQL (general overview, case studies, advocacy, newbies
> > Using PostgreSQL  (users lounge, gui tools, bug reporting )
> > Contributing to PostgreSQL (mainly developer.postgresql.org stuff)
> > Download (overview download page, ftp links, etc.)
> > Support (support overview page, lists, etc.)
> > Documentation  (docs, faqs)
> >
> > I'm thinking none of this should conflict with anything your working on,
> > LMK if you see any problems with it.
>
> Well, as Magnus already pointed out, I just renamed "About" to "Overview".
> I don't see the point of splitting it into "About" and "Using" --- we don't
> yet have enough content to justify any splits. Some of the stuff should
> probably end in the "documentation" section alongside the official docs,
> though.

The difference in the two sections is that one is to keep advocacy oriented
material... stuff the someone who is trying to determine if postgresql is
good for them would need to know.  The other section is aimed more at people
who use postgresql everyday, or need to explore deeper into the different
options they have with postgresql.  I think there will probably be some
overlap between the two sections, but I also think we have enough content for
a split if we pull in information from advocacy and techdocs, something we've
been talking about doing for some time.

> > Oh, I was also thinking now might be a good time to split events into
> > events/training, how feasible do you feel that would be?
> >
> ::shrugs::
>
> You tell me what do you mean by "splitting", I tell you how feasible this
> is...

I mean listing "regular" events seperate from "training" events, sort of like
we have news seperate from events now.

--
Robert Treat