Re: additional GCC warning flags

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: additional GCC warning flags
Date: 2004-10-19 17:40:56
Lists: pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> Attached is a revised patch. Changes:

Another word from the wise: Never write "recent" in code designed for
longevity. :)

> BTW, since we're on the topic of compiler options, is there a reason
> we don't use -g3 with GCC when --enable-debug is specified? It seems
> worth using to me.

I'm sure we could discuss dozens of compiler options.  Don't even start
on the -march ones.  I think in the interest of compatibility with the
rest of the world we should stick with the basic levels of
optimization, debugging, and warning that make most people reasonably
happy and let the users worry about the rest in their own time.  I'm
already not so happy about the new warning options, because they make
the compile lines too long.  How's that for an argument? ;-)

--
Peter Eisentraut