Re: Why isn't this index being used?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why isn't this index being used?
Date: 2004-10-19 15:47:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:33:50AM -0400, Knutsen, Mark wrote:
> (Why don't replies automatically go to the list?)

Because sometimes you don't want them to. There's been dozens of
discussions about this. BTW, mutt has a nice feature which allows
you to reply to lists -- I imagine other MUAs have such a feature
too.

> Sure enough, quoting the constants fixes the problem.
>
> Is it a best practice to always quote constants?

No, but it's very useful in these cases. The problem is I believe
this is fixed in 8.0, BTW. See the FAQ, question 4.8

I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to. That actually seems sort of quaint now.
--J.D. Baldwin