== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 18th 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 18th 2004 ==
Date: 2004-10-19 04:12:21
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 18th 2004 ==

Enough progress this week to start up rumbling of a RC release. I'd suspect
that its still a week or more away, and possibly even another beta away, but
it is still a good sign that we are getting closer to release, with the main
sticking points now circling on tablespaces and win32.

Being so close to crunch time, this weeks fixes were more wide than deep.
Some problems with Cygwin and DLLINIT were resolved. Static lib builds on
Win32 and Cygwin are now enabled. The /contrib modules should now all compile
cleanly for Cygwin. The getpid() function is now cast to int, resolving a
problem some Solaris releases had returning long.

Some unnecessary void* casts when using pfree() in contrib/xml and
contrib/xml2 were cleaned up. We now report the full path in error reports
for version mismatch of binaries. Several more bugs and tweaks to plperl were
committed. A bug in pg_get_indexdef() was fixed. You can now shut down the
background writer by setting limit values to zero. PQprepare and
PQsendPrepared functions were added to libpq to suport preparing of
statements without specifying the datatypes of thier prarmeters.

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

DSPAM v3.2 Released
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/10/16/2314226.shtml?tid=111

Postgresql AutoDoc 1.24
http://newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/72860172?

== PostgreSQL In The News ==

Startup builds hosted project management suite
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;142238304;fp;16;fpid;0

Learning PostgreSQL at the Big Nerd Ranch
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7847&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

optimization by 10,000 commits (blog)
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2004/10/optimization-by-10000-commits.html

PostgreSQL training (blog)
http://worldofnic.blogspot.com/2004/10/postgresql-training.html

== PostgreSQL Events ==

4D Summit: New Orleans, Louisiana: October 19-22
There will be sessions on making cross platform apps with PostgreSQL.
http://www.4d.com/summit/

LinuxWorld Conferance: Frankfurt, Germany: October 26-28
PostgreSQL will once again have a booth at the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo.
http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 18th 2004 ==
On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org