Re: 'configure' bug on Mac OS X 10.3.5

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "Fahad G(dot)" <Fahad(dot)Gilani(at)anusf(dot)anu(dot)edu(dot)au>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'configure' bug on Mac OS X 10.3.5
Date: 2004-10-15 02:43:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:03:39PM +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 10:23, Fahad G. wrote:
> > I checked and I don't have 'readline' installed. --without-readline did the
> > trick, but shouldn't this be handled automatically?
>
> This is intentional -- what's wrong with stopping? ISTM that stopping
> and letting the user know what went wrong is probably better than just
> continuing: many users will install readline when they discover it isn't
> installed, and it is easy to miss a warning emitted by "configure" as
> its output flies past.

What about emitting at the end of configure something like

Features enabled:
command line editing, parser generation, PL/Perl
Features disabled:
coffee maker, online gambling, PL/Python

"And as an added bonus, now my computer goes to the toilet for me, leaving me
free to spend time on more useful activities! yay slug codefests!" (C. Parker)