Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, armenrz(at)starprise(dot)net,PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Reusable pl/pgsql
Date: 2004-10-13 20:08:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-generalpgsql-www
Robert,

> Is "code snippits" the one true plan?

No, it's just the closest one to being implemented, and integrates tightly
with a PostgreSQL site already up.  Why spend 100 hours coding something from
scratch when 4-5 hours of work on an existing app would make it happen?

> Bruce believes he has the old
> cookbook code

Which is not really useable.  Just ask Roberto.

> and we've had someone ask about yet another alternative,
> so I think it looks like we have alternative solutions available. I've
> no problem sticking with your road map if you feel that's where we need
> to go, but I've also no problem letting different people work
> independently and going with whatever solution comes out first (sort of
> ansari xprize style)

We're fond of doing that as a community.   Unfortunately, with each separate
developer working on each separate solution, often nothing gets finished.   I
personally don't see any value in fragmented efforts just so that people
don't have to work with anyone else's code.   We're an OSS project, we're
supposed to be about *pooling* talent/code.

If somebody presents something completed, then great!   I'd be thrilled.
Anything I don't have to do is a good thing.   But if somebody asks me "How
can we do this thing?"  I'm going to tell them "help fix Code Snippets".

Now, if someone has an objection to Code Snippets as a tool and knows of
something else we can get done faster/better, then please, let's hear it!
I'm not attached to it, I just see it as the easiest path.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions