Re: Postgresql for Dummies?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Daniel Lerch <daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql for Dummies?
Date: 2004-10-13 03:36:41
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:52:34 -0700,
  Daniel Lerch <daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com> wrote:
> I need to learn how to work with PostgreSQL for work, but I am
> *completely* unfamiliar with the program, almost completely unfamiliar
> with databases (I've only worked with very basic databases in MS
> Access), and relateively unfamiliar with using non-GUI programs.
>
> In other words, I need a 'Postgresql for Dummies' book - something that
> will start at the most basic level.  The books I've seen out there on
> Amazon.com and other places all seem to be aimed at developers, though.
> Where can I go to get a basic, basic, BASIC tutorial/guidebook for
> learning PostgreSQL?

You really want to read through the the documentation that comes with
Postgres. It is very good. Even if you don't understand everything at
first, you will at least be aware of what is documented and what kinds
of things Postgres can do, so that if you need something later you will
have an idea where to look.