== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 11th 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 11th 2004 ==
Date: 2004-10-12 04:15:38
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 11th 2004 ==

Another week closer to the 8.0 release, we still had a good number of problem
reports come in this past week. We're probably still a bit away from another
beta release; remember you can always check the progress of beta at
http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgopenitems.

Especially important is the number of win32 fixes we had, showing a good
number of folks helping test this new release. Several unused Win32 defines
were converted to typdefs. The plpython function language can now build on
Win32. Win32 SSL builds were fixed. Tablespaces on Cygwin installs were
fixed. Finally we now test on unix domain sockets before setting default
authentication to allow connections from them.

More general fixes this week include escaping single quotes and backslashes
used in locales placed in postgresql.conf, tightening some cases where
PostgreSQL accepted invalid CIDR values, sorting out some problems with SQL
function returning rowtypes that have dropped columns, including schema names
in pg_restore -l output, and fixing the pg_indexes view to show the index's
tablespace rather than the parent table's tablespace.

One final announcement for anyone using CVS; we just completed some house
cleaning that will require folks to do a fresh checkout before they can
continue updating. For more information, please see the official announcement
at http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2004-10/msg00006.php

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

Announcing catchmail - an email to PostgreSQL utility
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mysite/catchmail.htm

PostgreSQL Hierarchical Queries 0.5.3 (For PostgreSQL 8.x)
http://freshmeat.net/projects/hier_pg/?branch_id=53766&release_id=175403

MT 3.12 update beta testing (several PostgreSQL related fixes)
http://plod.popoever.com/archives/000335.html

== PostgreSQL In The News ==

How to install OPEN-XCHANGE™ with Webmin, APACHE2, OpenLDAP and PostgreSQL
http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/workshop/ox/ox.htm

== PostgreSQL Events ==

4D Summit: New Orleans, Louisiana: October 19-22
The 4D Summit will have sessions on making cross platform apps on PostgreSQL.
http://www.4d.com/summit/

LinuxWorld Conferance: Frankfurt, Germany: October 26-28
PostgreSQL will once again have a booth at the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo.
http://www.linuxworldexpo.de/

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 11th 2004 ==
On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org