Re: Data warehousing requirements

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gabriele Bartolini <angusgb(at)tin(dot)it>, "Aaron Werman" <awerman2(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Data warehousing requirements
Date: 2004-10-08 05:53:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom,

Well, I sit corrected. Obviously I misread that.

> It's not so much that they are necessarily inefficient as that they
> constrain the planner's freedom of action. You need to think a lot more
> carefully about the order of joining than when you use inner joins.

I've also found that OUTER JOINS constrain the types of joins that can/will be
used as well as the order. Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but (for
example) OUTER JOINs seem much more likely to use expensive merge joins.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions