Re: Caching of Queries

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Matt Clark <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, 'Aaron Werman' <awerman2(at)hotmail(dot)com>,'Scott Kirkwood' <scottakirkwood(at)gmail(dot)com>,Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caching of Queries
Date: 2004-09-30 22:11:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:30:31PM +0100, Matt Clark wrote:
> It's certainly the case that the typical web app (which, along with
> warehouses, seems to be one half of the needy apps), could probably do
> worse than use pooling as well.  I'm not well up enough on pooling to
> know how bulletproof it is though, which is why I included it in my list
> of things that make me go 'hmm....'.  It would be really nice not to
> have to take both things together.

If you're not using a connection pool of some kind then you might as
well forget query plan caching, because your connect overhead will swamp
the planning cost. This does not mean you have to use something like
pgpool (which makes some rather questionable claims IMO); any decent web
application language/environment will support connection pooling.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant               decibel(at)decibel(dot)org