Re: Reviving Time Travel (was Re: 'TID index')

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reviving Time Travel (was Re: 'TID index')
Date: 2004-09-30 21:57:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

To answer Simon's earlier comment about if I was looking to start
hacking on PostgreSQL... I'm not. :) I might take a look at the TODO
again, but I seem to do a great job of finding things to put on my plate
as it is. I am interested in minimizing the impact of vacuum, which is
why I brought my idea up originally. So, if anything, I'll be much more
interested to work on improving vacuum than on something else.

Heh, I was about to ask for the pages with dead tuples list to be added
to the TODO, but it seems it's already there ('Maintain a map of
recently-expired rows'). One thing that isn't there which I remember
being discussed was having the page-write daemon do a vacuum of a page
before it's written; has this been done already?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant decibel(at)decibel(dot)org