Re: Server unreliability

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 20:44:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> David,
>
> > Marc, you've been a great contributor to the community, but lately,
> > you've gotten quite severely off track. You can continue to help by
> > straightening up and flying right, but you are, as you have been
> > reminded publicly in the past, *not* the dictator on this project.
> > You are not indispensable, and if you continue to pull this nonsense,
> > you *will* be dispensed with.
>
> Hey! Take it easy! Everyone here has been working hard to promote and
> support PostgreSQL, particularly Marc, and taking a superior tone does
> nothing to improve the real problems.
>
> Even if we were donated a 5-server data center at Globix with unlimited
> bandwidth tommorrow, Marc would still he helping us with list/server admin,
> and it would still be the case that Hub.org has supported this project for
> years, including periods in which there was no/little benefit in doing so.

"Years" where there was no/little benefit. We had first-class
infrastructure when other open source projects were run on servers that
moved every few months.

My problem is that our reliability has gone _down_ in the past few years
when it should have been getting better, and I am trying to find out the
cause and push us to adopt a solution.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us