Server unreliability

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 17:13:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
It is my opinion that we have to make major changes in the way we
provide hosting for our servers.  There are several problems:

o  Location of servers

The location of our servers in Panama is a problem.  They are too far
for any PostgreSQL maintainers to access.  Changing hardware or
diagnosing problems has been too hard.  I have had like 2 days of
downtime on my home machine in the past 12 years.  We have had more than
2 days of downtime in the past 6 months.  My wife would not accept such
a reliability level.

o  FreeBSD

The use of FreeBSD jails can cause servers to take +8 hours to fsck on a
server crash or power failure.  Again, I would never accept such
problems on my home server so it is hard to fathom how a project with
thousands of users can accept that.  Either we need to find a fix, stop
using jails, or get another operating system, but continuing to use a
setup with a known problem is just asking for trouble.

o  Web site

We have been talking about a new web page layout for years at this
point.  I almost don't care if they just put a dancing bear up on the
web site.  Let's do something!

o  Archives

The archives situation is a continual problem.  Again, maybe a dancing
bear can help.  :-)

Basically, with no money and no one offering servers, I don't see a good
solution to any of these problems, but I think we need to recognize
these are problems and that we will continue to suffer until they are
addressed.

Are there any proposals, no matter how radical, to correct these?

pgsql-www by date