Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 19:05:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Marc, Darcy, Bruce, Peter, et. al.

> Poor use of terminlogy on my part, but the net effect is the same, the FS
> is being used to facilitate the jail, take away the jail, take away the
> need of the stacked FS.

The other BSD experts I've talked to all agree that the Jail setup on the
current servers is a severe performance drain. I think we really need to
look at not using jails for the the dedicated PostgreSQL server(s), when we
have them.

> One thing I know we can do here to help at least the availability of the
> website itself, is to use a round-robin DNS based setup.

FWIW, some folks at SourceForge have offered their help in configuring this.
I'm currently waiting for Adi to get back from vacation to proceed.

> I'm sure people would offer money, servers, and pipes if there were some
> public accounting and governance. Right now, we don't really know
>
> - What services are being run?
> - How many resources does that take?
> - Who provides those resources?
> - Who administers these services?

This is why I'd like to do some of this stuff -- particularly fundraising --
through the Foundation. However, as you know Peter, there have been some
delays in that regard.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions