Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 18:43:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

----8<----[snip]
> jails are not the problem ... the problem is the file system we are using
> to share applications ... but, yes, if we could put a dedicated box in
> place, we could very easily eliminate the use of the file system ... we
> have never had a jail related crash on those servers, they have always
> come down to the file system itself ...

Poor use of terminlogy on my part, but the net effect is the same, the FS is
being used to facilitate the jail, take away the jail, take away the need of
the stacked FS.

> To do this, and I'd love to, we'd need to have *at least* all of the
> www*.us.postgresql.org mirrors setup a ServerAlias for www.postgresql.org
> ... not sure what would be involved in getting that done though, but the
> DNS side wouldn't take much ...

*nod* In the interim there is nothing stoping getting the process rolling with
those sites that are known to work, as well as contacting the mirror admins.
of the unknown sites..

> > What about combining the efforts od pgsql.ru and command prompt to do
> > this, or maybe even monarc or google groups ?
>
> Until someone can *list* the problems, how can a solution be suggested?
> John and I know of no issues at this time ... the last one was the 'time
> period' searches, which we believe we've just fixed ...

I'm not sure what the issues have been other than availability.

> > Ok i know how much we all hate banner adds and the like, but what about
> > using Google ads especially on the archives to help generate income to
> > fund these requirements?
>
> Huh? Google ads? I know what you mean, just how do we make use of them?

Specificly the program out lines at: https://www.google.com/adsense/ I know
of a few reasonably high traffic sites that are generating about 5k/mth
income from this program.

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759