Best way to know if there is a row

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best way to know if there is a row
Date: 2004-09-28 12:55:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a bunch of queries in a system I'm finishing, and I bumped with a
question on performace.
Which is the best way to solve this:

I need to know if there is at least one row in the relation that comes from a
determinated query. Which is the best way to do this:

(a) Build the query with "SELECT * ..." and after executing the query see if
numRows()>0
(b) Build the query with "SELECT count(*) ...", fetch the row and see if
count>0

I'm working with (a) because I see it better in performace, but I wanted to be
sure the numRows() will actually give me the exact amount of rows (had some
problems in the past with Informix).

The aplication is written in PHP.

--
09:45:02 up 16 days, 3 min, 4 users, load average: 3.32, 2.69, 1.77
Martín Marqués | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'