Performance/Functional Analysis Complete

From: Mark Cotner <mcotner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance/Functional Analysis Complete
Date: 2004-09-27 08:50:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

I finished the write-up I mentioned a few weeks ago.

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks to everyone on this list and especially to all
the folks in IRC who helped me get up to speed on
PostgreSQL in a very short period of time.

I've already migrated one of the applications I
cowrote with CableLabs to PostgreSQL. It isn't quite
as demanding as the app in the review, but will serve
as a great test bed for the migration work that is
just beginning.

Here's the write-up . . .
http://www.opensourcecable.org/PostgreSQL_Performance_Analysis_Cox.pdf

I think that you'll find a lot of people like myself
who develop applications using MySQL because their
skillset requires a simple database, and want more
when the application and their skills grow. I was(and
still am to an extent) a little frustrated by the
perceived ease of use of the PG client compared to
MySQL's client. I really think it would be a good
idea to at least implement "quit" and "exit". The \
commands take some getting used to and have more
flexibility, but will never be as easy as MySQL show
commands. With that said, after only three weeks, I'm
not put-off by the client interface at all now.

'njoy,
Mark