psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "Administrator"

From: Sudhakar Kurumella <kurumella(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "Administrator"
Date: 2004-09-21 11:38:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I am using postgresql windows based "8.0-beta2-dev3". I have provided default user and password while installing. When i am trying to connecto to psql through dos command prompt, i am getting following error:

[D:\Postgresql\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin]psql
psql: FATAL:  Password authentication failed for user "Administrator"

I dont have user named "Administrator", i have only user "postgres" and my "pg_hba.conf" details are:

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
local   all         postgres                          md5
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
# IPv6-style local connections:
#host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

My question is how to connect postgres through the dos command prompt, to use commands such as pg_dump etc..

thanks,
kuru