Re: windows docs?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bender, Cheryl" <cbender(at)mriresearch(dot)org>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: windows docs?
Date: 2004-09-21 11:27:10
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-docs
On Tuesday 21 September 2004 04:35, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > When starting the Windows psql client I get a warning that the
> > > "console codepage (437) differs from the windows codepage
> >
> > (1252)" and
> >
> > > to see installation on Windows for details.  I am having
> >
> > trouble finding this
> >
> > > documentation.   I've also been looking for the "Windows
> >
> > FAQ" which was
> >
> > > mentioned in a post.  Can anyone point me to documentation that
> > > addresses this issue as well as other window's issues?
> >
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows is a good
> > starter for current
> > win32 information.  The windows faq
> > (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN) also has
> > some info, though it might be a little outdated. (updates
> > welcome).
>
> Might want to rename that one to FAQ_Cygwin or something? ;-) AFAIK, it
> has nothing about the native port.
>
> There is an installer-centric faq at
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html. It also has
> a number of non-installer-specific questinos. I beleive it was Daves
> intention to get this one on the main site eventually. If not, perhaps
> selected questions should be moved in..

I'm thinking rename the current faq to faq_win32_cygwin and then create a new
faq faq_win32_native based the pginstaller one.   Does anyone feel they ought
to be combined?  I guess another alternative is jut remove faq_mswin from the
main sources and then leave it up to cygwin/native projects to maintain thier
own faqs, with perhaps a single question in the main postgresql pointing to
both of the other faqs... anyone have a preference?

--
Robert Treat