Re: BUG #1257: add support for 1-byte integer and 4-bit integer

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "stig" <stigerikson(at)yahoo(dot)se>,"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1257: add support for 1-byte integer and 4-bit integer
Date: 2004-09-17 21:57:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs
PostgreSQL Bugs List wrote:
> why is this feature important?
> having in mind the development of datawarehouses with huge amount of
> data (hundreds of millions, or billions of rows in fact tables) every
> byte is of importance.

Yet how many applications could make use of the limited range that a
1-byte integer type would provide?  Compared to the mess this would
introduce into the resolution of numeric literals and functions, this
seems to be of limited use.  I suggest that you implement this as an
extension module for your own use.

4-bit integers are out of the question.  The architecture doesn't allow
it.

--
Peter Eisentraut