Troubles with beta2-dev3 on Windows XP

From: "Arcadius A(dot)" <arcadius(at)centrum(dot)cz>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Troubles with beta2-dev3 on Windows XP
Date: 2004-09-16 08:25:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hello!
I'm having troubles with postgreSQL beta2-dev3 on Windows XP.

1) During the installation, I've got some error/warning dialogs ....
see :
http://people.menelic.com/ahouans/pg/err.html

The first 4 screens are from the installation.
The last one is from pgAdmin III.

2)Windows task manager shows pg_ctl.exe,  postmaster.exe, and 2 postgres.exe processes
running (by user postgres). Also, the windows service manager shows that the pg server is running. So,
  a)  I've tried to connect from the command line:
<err>
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin>
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin>psql
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin>

</err>

 b) PgAdmin III failed too.

3) Note that the PC has no internet access.
In the log file in the pg_log/ directory, available at
http://people.menelic.com/ahouans/pg/postgresql-2004-09-16_065902.log.txt ,

there is :
<log>
2004-09-16 06:59:04 Central Europe Daylight Time LOG:  incomplete startup packet
2004-09-16 06:59:05 Central Europe Daylight Time LOG:  could not receive data from client: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
</log>

Perhaps, it has something  to do with networking?
The server can be stopped and restarted through the windows XP service manager ,no problem, but, I cannot connect to it.

My PC is a Pentium III @ 700Mhz, 512MB , WinXP pro, Service Pack 1.

Also, I'm concerned about the procedural lang not being installed, I need it :-(

Thanks for helping.

Arcadius

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date