Re: Preserving column order when recreating table.

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Preserving column order when recreating table.
Date: 2004-09-15 15:36:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:07:00PM +0200, Stef wrote:
> Funny you say. It looks like "Bob" had a hand in pg_dump -d , 'cause I've
> many times wished there were column names specified there, too :)
> (I'm talking Prior 7.4 here, dunno if it's changed already)

Dunno about previous, but pg_dump -D does what you want. I think the
-d switch did it this way because you can get away with that if
you're also creating the schema in the same breath. I agree that
"Bob's" fingers have left their grotty marks in plenty of places.

> is why I didn't use this solution originally. But I figured out a way to
> modify pieces of the "create table" statement to drop all the indexes
> and constraints first.
>
> Is there an easier way around this?

I doubt it.

The plural of anecdote is not data.