Re: Draft Seven (maybe 8)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Draft Seven (maybe 8)
Date: 2004-09-09 18:23:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Chris, Josh,

> Grepping through my relevant mail folder, the only mention I see of
> 2nd Quadrant as other than part of your email address was when Josh
> Berkus was trying to point people to write useful things rather than
> squabbling.  To wit:

Hmmm ... I'm beginning to get the feeling that some people did not receive my
re-written version of Draft 6.  It included 2nd Quadrant, and also a
re-written paragraph 2 and 5 that I feel somewhat assertive about.   Let me
re-post here:

=======================================

COMPANIES:  having seen both forms, I think that it's better to list the
companies in one sentence than attribute each feature.    There are probably
some more companes we could add; anyone who contributed a major feature or
add-on, or sponsors a full-time developer.  ?

2nd P:  I think this works better if it focuses on our rapid development,
which is also important for the image of our project.

PostgreSQL Is ... we have standard text for this, I'll post it as soon as our
web site !!!! gets fixed.

200 developers:   We need to get a firm count from the patches list before
going live with this.   I'll ask Bruce.

NY, NY: August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group has released
version 8.0 of the PostgreSQL object-relational database management system,
maintaining PostgreSQL's position as the most advanced open source database
in the world. This release includes many features previously only available
in the most expensive proprietary database software, and is expected to
dramatically increase the adoption of PostgreSQL by both developers and
software vendors.

<quote here>

In addition to reaching a new milestone in scalability, PostgreSQL 8.0
demonstrates the unparalleled development ability of open source.  Red Hat,
Fujitsu, Afilias, SRA of Japan, 2nd Quadrant, Command Prompt, and more than a
dozen other companies as well as over 200 individual developers contributed
to add more major features to 8.0 than have been seen in any previous
version.   These features include:

Native Windows Support:  PostgreSQL now works natively with Windows
systems and does not need an emulation layer.  This provides dramatically
improved performance over previous versions, and offers a compelling
alternative to proprietary database software for independent software vendors,
corporate users, and individual Windows developers.

Savepoints:  Savepoints allow specific parts of a database transaction to
be rolled back without aborting.  This has been a long-sought feature by
developers of complex business applications.

Point In Time Recovery: PITR provides "continuous backup", allowing minimal
loss of data even in the event of total hardware failure.

Tablespaces:  crucial to the administrators of multi-gigabyte data warehousing
systems, tablespaces allow the placement of large tables and indexes on their
own individual disks or arrays.

Improved Memory and I/O:  Disk and memory usage have been improved through
Adaptive Replacement Cache, the Background Writer, and Lazy Vacuum.   This
will result in more predictable loads and substantially more even performance
during peak usage times.

<quote here>

In addition to the many features bundled with the release, PostgreSQL has been
enhanced by accellerated development of add-ons and optional components over
the last year.    The Slony-I replication tool and the pgPool connection
pooling/brokering utility are both already being used for high-availability
clustering.   Several stored procedure languages have been added or greatly
expanded, including PL/Java, PL/PHP and PL/Perl, and the Npgsql .NET data
provider has been enhanced to support our many new Windows users.

Of course, there are many more new features.   For a full list, see our
Release Notes <link>

<quote here>

<standard "what is postgresql" blurb here>

<all trademarks there respective owners, etc.>

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions