Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>, "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net>
Cc: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, "pgsql-advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak
Date: 2004-09-04 18:49:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Scott, Marc,

> I believe no other publication could be better since a) no other
> publication would have the same impact as the original one that posted
> the "hit piece" and b) the same audience may not be reached by another
> publication.

As you guessed, we have already contacted CXOToday, and researched the
background of both the publication and the reporter (thanks Simon!). Based
on both research and our interaction with the reporter, we do not believe
that any story from us would receive fair treatement.

> Here is a company in India that complained about the atrocious performance
> PostgreSQL was giving them, they complained vocally about it, and "the
> community" jumped to the rescue? Are we going to jump the rescue of the
> next one too? Are we setting a potentially bad precedent by advertising
> that "if you yell loud enough, we'll focus our attentions on you"?

We won't be giving them any help they couldn't otherwise get simply by
subscribing to PGSQL-PERFORMANCE or jumping on IRC.

The reason that Skypak ended up in trouble is that they are NOT interent-saavy
at all; their installation of PostgreSQL was put in by an apparently
less-than-competent constulant who then disappeared when they ran into
problems (at least, according to Skypak). So they were completely unaware
of the existence of postgresql.org, the mailing lists, or online
documentation. I, personally, don't have any problem giving them some help
in getting connected with these resources -- the same as I do for about 10
people a day who contact me through advocacy.postgresql.org or
press(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

Also, I think I can get a good news story out of it, which is worth a little
effort.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions