Re: pgAccess via ssh?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: 1100100(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAccess via ssh?
Date: 2004-09-02 14:58:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Mike wrote:
> I have an ssh server set up on my home linux box and can access my
> postgresql server and database using puTTY from remote locations.
>
> Is it possible to access the postgresql database on the home linux box
> by way of ssh, and then use pgAccess in conjunction with ssh to run
> queries, etc.

Yes, it is possible. The SSH protocol supports tunneling
of TCP connections. As far as I know, putty does not
support that feature, but OpenSSH does. As it seems you
have a Windows machine (not UNIX or Linux), the easiest
option is probably to install Cygwin which comes with
OpenSSH.

The follwoing command will establish such a tunnel:
ssh -L 5432:127.0.0.1:5432 your.host.com

Then you can use pgAccess (or other clients) to connect to
port 5432 on localhost, which is forwarded through the ssh
connection to port 5432 on your home machine. You can use
a different local port number if necessary. For the Post-
greSQL server, the connections appear to be originating
from localhost, so the same authentication applies.

Best regards
Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
-- Tim Peters