Re: slower every day

From: G u i d o B a r o s i o <gbarosio(at)uolsinectis(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slower every day
Date: 2004-09-01 10:57:15
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-performance
The solution appeared as something I didn't know

  On the .conf file

Previous situation:

#log_something=false
log_something=true

Worst situation
#log_something=false
#log_something=true

Nice situation
log_something=false
#log_something=true

Ok, the problem was that I assumed that commenting a value on
the conf file will set it up to a default (false?). I was wrong.
My server was writting tons of log's.

Is this the normal behavior for pg_ctl reload? It seems that looks for new values, remembering the last state on the ones that actually are commented. Although it's my fault to have 2 (tow) lines for the same issue, and that I should realize that this is MY MISTAKE, the log defaults on a reload, if commented, tend to be the last value entered?

Regards,
Guido

> Am Mittwoch, 1. September 2004 12:06 schrieb G u i d o B a r o s i o:
> >   The problem is the time that the postgres takes to perform/return a
> > query. For example, trying the \d <tablename> command takes between 4 or 5
> > seconds. This table is very big, but I am not asking for the rows, only
> > asking the table schema, so...why is this so slow?!?!? My last
> > administrative action into this table was a reindex to all the indexes via
> > the BKI in standalone mode. I thought I suceed, but this was las saturday.
>
> Do you regularly vacuum and analyze the database?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: G u i d o B a r o s i oDate: 2004-09-01 11:58:53

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)Date: 2004-09-01 11:43:08