Re: Contrib -- PostgreSQL shared variables

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contrib -- PostgreSQL shared variables
Date: 2004-08-30 20:11:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mohawksoft,

> One of the most common SQL database applications is as the backend of some
> higher level system, like a web site. In these systems, ususlly done in
> Java, PHP, or heaven help us, .NET, you have multiple front end machine
> communicating with a SQL database backend.

Leaving aside that Java, .NET and even PHP5 have much more sophisticated ways
of sharing variables ...

> These systems use the database as the main data server. The overall
> scalability of their system is based on the scalability of the database.
> At some point, you'll max out the DB and be stuck. The shared variables
> module is designed to allow you to scale better by allowing you to cheapy
> maintain data.

I really don't follow how this makes a lack of transaction-awareness for these
global variables an advantage. If you're saying that it's not possible to
make shared variables which are both cheap and transaction-aware, then say so
and be clear about it.

Please understand that I am not opposed to the idea behind the shared variable
proposal. I just think there are some details to be worked out.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions