expected trigger behavior in transactions

From: "Noah Davis" <noah(at)acadaca(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: expected trigger behavior in transactions
Date: 2004-08-30 17:01:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Forgive me if this isn't directly a JDBC issue.

I have some triggers setup in postgres that are triggered before inserts.
They are pretty basic triggers. They update some columns and then continue
on with the insert.

We have some java code which starts a transaction (sets auto commit to
false) and then performs some inserts. If successful, it commits the
transaction. Sometimes, it appears like the trigger is fired but does not
commit. Is there a separate connection context for triggers? Do I have to
worry about how triggers work within a transaction? If I commit/rollback an
insert, does it commit/rollback the triggers which were fired?

It seems like when I do the steps directly in postgres, the triggers are
fired appropriately if in a transaction. However, within Java, in some cases
the triggers either aren't fired, or are fired, but do not commit when jdbc
commits. Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks for any help,

Noah
Noah Davis
636 Broadway, Suite 516