Re: 8.0 Press Release, Draft Two

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0 Press Release, Draft Two
Date: 2004-08-29 15:33:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

josh(at)bitbuckets(dot)com wrote:
> August 24, 2004 - The PostgreSQL Global Development group today
> announced the availability of the landmark 8.0 version of the
> PostgreSQL ORDBMS. PostgreSQL, created in 1986 by UC Berkeley, is the

Spell out ORDBMS. Change UC Berkeley to University of California at
Berkeley.

> most advanced open source database in existence today. Version 8 is
> the collective work of over 200 developers.

> Point In Time Recovery: PITR expands the PostgreSQL enterprise

Drop "enterprise".

> The PostgreSQL database can be downloaded freely at
> http://www.postgresql.org.

A crude terminology reference:

"database" -- a collection of structured data
"database management system" -- software to manage databases
"database system" -- a database management system acting on a particular
database

So in this case, you can download the "database management system".
Actually, I would just say "software" here, because not all the
software that you can download is concerned with managing databases.

--
Peter Eisentraut