Re: Apologies if you don't consider this a bug and I've wasted your time.

From: Steve Ingram <ingram(at)samsixedd(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Apologies if you don't consider this a bug and I've wasted your time.
Date: 2004-08-28 16:37:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Friday 27 August 2004 20:21, Tom Lane wrote:
> Steve Ingram <ingram(at)samsixedd(dot)com> writes:
> > When I pg_dump out the database, it outputs all the tables, functions,
> > types as you'd expect, but it outputs table definitions that reference
> > postgis functions/types *before* the functions/types themselves.
>
> Yeah, this is pretty likely if you did any ALTER TABLE or similar
> commands anywhere along the line.

Duh! Of course!!

OK, this makes a lot more sense now and now I
don't regard it as a bug ;) I bet you are relieved :) :)

> The dump order is dependent on the
> original creation order of the objects (tables, functions, etc) and so
> it's pretty easy to break it by adding columns or indexes to
> pre-existing tables.

Thats cool; I can make sure (I think) that doesn't happen,
and frankly, if a reload breaks, the fact that I am reloading *at all* is
pretty drastic, so I'll be happy to shift the contents to accommodate
any of the changes you mentioned.

> 8.0's pg_dump attempts to deal with this by paying attention to
> dependencies, but no earlier release does anything at all credible.
>
> FWIW, pg_restore does have options to alter the reload order, which
> may be an easier workaround than editing a textual dump.

And of course, I could have read ahead :)

Thanks for the explanation Tom

cheers

steve