Re: vacuum pg_attribute causes high load

From: kris pal <kristhegambler(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum pg_attribute causes high load
Date: 2004-08-27 18:24:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:
>No, you need to let the vacuum finish.
>If you stop it early, it'll just increase system load and accomplish _nothing_.

But while doing vacuum the load is getting so high that the system is almost freezing.
Does the performance of 'Vacuum' command depend on other system/ database parameters?  The 'vacuum pg_attribute" command never completes, its causing high load on the server. I had to wait for 15 mins and kill it.  Because the system load was touching 10, slowing down the system therefore not letting anyone access the server.

Can we vacuum the "pg_attribiute" in parts? So that 'vacuum' will complete faster and there won't be load issues.

Thanks Tom Lane and Chris Browne for your help so far.

-Krishna.