backups and WAL

From: pablobarbachano(at)yahoo(dot)es
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: backups and WAL
Date: 2004-08-27 08:03:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, first of all thanks for postgresql, it has never given a problem
and is performing great.

Now my question: my employer wants to do backups every 12 hours, and
save the logs evry 2 hours to... Can I simply save the logs
(cp pg_xlog/* ...) or do I need something more elaborate?

Now in a restore situation ... I restore the database, and then what?
put the saved files back in the pg_xlog/ dir, then start postmaster
and magically all starts working? Am I correct or completely insane?
The documentation is not clear in that aspect...

Thanks in advance,
Pablo.