Re: AT TIME ZONE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Shahbaz Javeed <sjaveed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AT TIME ZONE
Date: 2004-08-24 19:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 03:16:30PM -0400, Shahbaz Javeed wrote:

People,

> I wonder whether this TODO item also covers cases such as inserting
> into a table where one field is time in the local timezone and the
> other is time in GMT.  Not sure if such a thing is desirable or even
> possible (in the SQL standard).  The syntax I'm imagining feels pretty
> awkward.

I wonder instead if it will be possible to store a timestamp without
timezone in one field, and a timezone in another field.  So I can get
back a timestamp at the second-field timezone.

I know this works for abbreviations, but this doesn't help me solve the
problem at DST boundaries (abbreviations change at that point).

"The ability to monopolize a planet is insignificant
next to the power of the source"