Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment

From: Martin Atukunda <matlads(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Linux Environment
Date: 2004-08-24 12:27:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 10:38:26AM -0700, Eyinagho Newton wrote:

> It has been impossible to install PostgreSQL, an open
> source
> software, from my SUSE 8.0 . Although it tells you its
> been installed, each time i try to start it using
> SysV-Init Editor, i get the following message:

> starting postgreSQL
> /etc/init.d/postgresql.checkproc:command not found
> ....done
>
> What exactly am i doing wrong? Or better still, what
> haven't i done yet? Please help me

IIRC SuSE 8.0 requires you to use the command rcpostgresql as root when you
have just installed postgresql. It will do the initdb and other things
necessary to get postgresql running.

#which checkproc
/sbin/checkproc

You may have to log in as root to run /etc/init.d/postgresql start, or even configure
it in the SysV-Init Editor

HTH

- Martin -