Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: in(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak
Date: 2004-08-24 17:49:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Folks,

Aha!  I found e-mail for the company.    Sent to their VP of IT.

A copy of the message is below my .sig.    HOWEVER, please do be aware that
there is likely a great deal more to the story than the article presents;
Skypak may be thinking of switching away from PostgreSQL for reasons that
have nothing to do with actual performance.   For example, they may be using
it on Cygwin; you'll notice that the article doesn't mention a platform.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

=================================

Mr. Warnekar,

We in the postgresql community were distrubed to read of your company's rather
public repudation of PostgreSQL.   Much more so because nobody in our active
online community of developers -- including a number of Indians -- was aware
that you were using PostgreSQL, let alone that you had problems with it.

Was your staff aware that a great deal of expert, peer-to-peer help for
PostgreSQL is available online?   Were your problems raised on the
PGSQL-PERFORMANCE e-mailing list or elsewhere?

I spend quite a bit of time tuning PostgreSQL professionally for clients in
the United States; it is how I support my participation in the Project.  I
find it somewhat hard to believe that PostgreSQL would not perform well under
the loads you descibe in the article.

Please consider sharing your issues with the community; I'm sure it would be
cheaper to solve your performance problems with PostgreSQL than to port to
another system.  I look forward to hearing from you.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Core Team