Re: pgsql-server: Update that 8.0 will support MS Win

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Update that 8.0 will support MS Win
Date: 2004-08-24 11:50:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I think we need to actually find someone who reports a problem before
>>> stating something. I don't see how we can assume it is unstable without
>>> some feedback.
>>
>> On the contrary, I don't see how we can assume it IS stable without any
>> evidence (which is effectively what we're doing if we release 8.0.0
>> without any special note about how stable we expect Win32 to be: we're
>> treating unix and win32 equally, when they clearly are not from the POV
>> of testing and maturity).
>>
>> This is enterprise software -- I think it would be wise for us to be
>> conservative about what we promise our users.
>
> What makes it more different from saying PITR, NT, or tablespaces might
> have bugs because those are new features too. What is the distinction?

they are new features, not new ports ...

Win32 is a new platform that we are supporting, and the likelihood of
someone finding a bug somewhere in the tens of thousands of lines of code
that is "windows specific" right now is fairly high ...

adding NT/PITR adds a feature that unless someone *really* screwed up,
doesn't have the potential of finding a bug *anywhere* in our code other
then where they tie into it, so its alot less of an impact overall ...

And that probably isn't worded as well as I'd like ... basically, *none*
of our code is *well tested* on Windows, where is *most* of our code is
well tested under Unix ... the only common "not well tested" code is the
new features we add during the release ...

----