Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-23 14:46:22
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Again, I'm not trying to offload work from the contributors onto the members
> of core. This is about how things are perceived by the PostgreSQL customers.
> Of course the contributors must continue to support their products. If they
> don't, I'd expect the "supported" status to be dropped at some point.

Except that what you are missing is that each if the individual package is
'supported' to a certain extent, it doesn't negate the amount of work that
the developers (more often then not, the core developers for stuff like
this) having to maintain and test the build system ... and the more we
'include', the more onerous that task will be until such a point that the
'core server' won't get any work done on it, since all the time will be
spent on "packaging the latest and greatest solution for foo" ...

> In times when people download gigabytes of film and music using BitTorrent, I
> think that's the least of our problems. But of course, the distribution
> should be kept at a reasonable size. That's why I'd like a better solution to
> replace the inferior one and to limit the number of overlaps.

At which time we are once more 'playing favorites' ...

----