Re: compiling against wxWidgets 2.5.2?

From: Dave Humphreys <dave(at)datatone(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compiling against wxWidgets 2.5.2?
Date: 2004-08-23 08:28:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

>Hi,
>
> when compiling pgadmin 1.0.2 against wxWidgets 2.5.2, i get the following>
error:

>ui/frmConnect.cpp:35: invalid static_cast from type `void
> (frmConnect::*)(wxNotifyEvent&)' to type `void
> (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxCommandEvent&)'
>
> Any hints?

Sven,

I think that you may be compiling with gcc-3.4.x.

I have found some discussion on this list about gcc-3.4 compatibility
issues.

You should obtain the latest snapshot of pgadmin3, or get the source
from CVS (which is what I have just done). The above problem has
seemed to go away, but I get an error involving 'wxMilliSleep'.

Checking this list, it is apparent that there is a special pgadmin3
version of wxWindows. There are some ancient source archives
(end 2003) of this on the pgadmin3 download site, but these are useless
for solving this problem (I've tried).

You will find references to 'our latest snapshot' for both pgAdmin3
and wxWindows-pgAdmin3, but nowhere is it made obvious
where these are to be found.

After much searching, I can now tell you to go to

http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/snapshots/

(PLEASE, PLEASE make a link to this page on the main website,
it took me half a day of searching, which is frustrating when I can
see endless references to the snapshots in the mailing list,
but no reference as to where to find them!)

Anyway, get the latest wxWidgets (pgAdmin) snapshot, and and the latest
pgAdmin snapshot, and all should compile (mine did, and I satrted with
exactly the same problem as you).

I am running it and there are a few installation wrinkles for me to sort
out (I have to start it in the directory that contains the 'ui' subdirectory,
or it can't find stuff that it needs to start).

Also, I have a bizarre bug which stops me typing lower case 'f' into
an SQL query!! (So far as I know other letters work, and upper case 'F'
is OK, but the lower case 'f' key is ignored).

Good luck, apart from the little wrinkles mentioned above, it is really
great. Thank you all who brought it to us!

Regards,
Dave Humphreys