Re: problem with setting PATH variable

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with setting PATH variable
Date: 2004-08-20 16:17:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 07:25:22 -0700,
"Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com> wrote:

> I have installed postgresql by building from a source tar ball.
> so every time i log in to the postgres session i have to set the PATH
> variable to /usr/local/bin, is there way so that i dont have to set the PATH
> variable every time i log into the postgres session.

The above doesn't really make sense. You don't log in to a postgres session
and then run psql. I think what you really mean is that you are logging into
a shell session instead of a postgres session. When you run psql, then
you have to authenticate to postgres via some means. (Which may or may not
involve supplying a password depending on your setup.) How you set your
default search path for your shell depends on your particular shell.
You need to read the documentation on your shell to see how to change it.
Probably your shell is bash, since that is the default and it seems unlikely
that you have changed it. You can use the finger command to see what it is.
For bash, your would probably want to add the following to your .bashrc file:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export PATH