Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Joe Lester <joe_lester(at)sweetwater(dot)com>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files
Date: 2004-08-20 16:15:26
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 10:25:20AM -0500, Joe Lester wrote:
> This thread was renamed. It used to be: "shared_buffers Question".
> The old thread kind of died out. I'm hoping to get some more direction
> by rephrasing the problem, along with some extra observations I've
> recently made.
>
> The core of the problem is that Postgres is filling up my hard drive
> with swap files at the rate of around 3 to 7 GB per week (that's
> Gigabytes not Megabytes).

Maybe you said this before, but I didn't follow the previous thread.
What do you mean by swap files?  Where are those files located?  Can you
show a listing of them?

I assume, of course, that your data proper does not grow linearly with
those "swap files," does it?

Si no sabes adonde vas, es muy probable que acabes en otra parte.