Re: Version 7.4.4

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Paul Tilles <Paul(dot)Tilles(at)noaa(dot)gov>
Cc: interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Version 7.4.4
Date: 2004-08-20 13:30:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 08:25:48 -0400,
Paul Tilles <Paul(dot)Tilles(at)noaa(dot)gov> wrote:
> I see references this week to a Version 7.4.4.
>
> What's new in this version? Is there a website where I can view the
> changes of each PostgreSQL revision (including 7.4.4)?

7.4.4 isn't going to happen. Another serious bug was found after it was wrapped
and some unofficial rpms were created. So the next release will be 7.4.5.
It should be announced shortly. (Probably within a day if no problems are
found with the wrapped version being checked out now.)

You will definitely want to upgrade to 7.4.5 from any previous 7.4.*
release as a potential data corruption problem after a crash is fixed
in this version.

The release notes are as follows (most sgml markup not removed):

<title>Release 7.4.5</title>

<note>
<title>Release date</title>
<simpara>2004-08-18</simpara>
</note>

<para>
This release contains one serious bug fix over 7.4.4.
</para>

<sect2>
<title>Migration to version 7.4.5</title>

<para>
A dump/restore is not required for those running 7.4.X.
</para>
</sect2>

<sect2>
<title>Changes</title>

<itemizedlist>
<para>
This patch fixes a rare case in which concurrent insertions into a btree index
could result in a server panic. No permanent damage would result, but it's
still worth a re-release. The bug does not exist in pre-7.4 releases.
</para></listitem>
</itemizedlist>

</sect2>
</sect1>

<sect1 id="release-7-4-4">
<title>Release 7.4.4</title>

<note>
<title>Release date</title>
<simpara>2004-08-16</simpara>
</note>

<para>
This release contains a variety of fixes from 7.4.3.
</para>

<sect2>
<title>Migration to version 7.4.4</title>

<para>
A dump/restore is not required for those running 7.4.X.
</para>
</sect2>

<sect2>
<title>Changes</title>

<itemizedlist>
<para>
Due to insufficient interlocking between transaction commit and checkpointing,
it was possible for transactions committed just before the most recent
checkpoint to be lost, in whole or in part, following a database crash and
restart. This is a serious bug that has existed
since <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> 7.1.
</para></listitem>
<listitem><para>Check HAVING restriction before evaluating result list of an
aggregate plan</para></listitem>
</itemizedlist>