Re: problem with setting PATH variable

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with setting PATH variable
Date: 2004-08-20 13:16:37
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 21:41:17 -0700,
  "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have installed PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on LINUX 7.2 and some other machines have
> LINUX 8.0.

You specify a distribution name, as there isn't a Linux 7.2 or 8.0, but
I believe there may be more than one distribution that used those version
numbers. (Though I suspect you are using Redhat.)

> The problem is that every time my machine restarts the postmaster stops...i
> have to manually restart the postmaster service....is there any way to
> automate the postmaster service. I did follow the steps to automate the
> postmaster service given in the following link
> http://openacs.org/doc/postgres.html , but that doesnt seem to be working.
> However it is working on Linux 7.2 sometimes but sometimes its not. But on
> Linux 8.0 version it is not at all working.

Is a restart attempted, but it fails or is no restart attempted? If it
fails, what do the logs say happened?

> Another problem is whenever we login to the postgres session, the path to
> psql command is not set. So every time we log into postgres session, we have
> to manually set the path in the PATH environment variable. As soon as we
> come out of the session, the path is not retained in the PATH
> variable....any inputs on this is appreciated.

Usually you want to set individually customized paths in your initialization
file for the shell(s) you use. That might be: .profile, .cshrc, .bashrc,
.zshrc,...