Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.
Date: 2004-08-18 20:34:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 18 August 2004 15:31, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > 1) growing size of our community (inc. new companies)
> > 2) just a handful of high-end features left and then equal to DB2,
> > Oracle, etc. (this is probably too similar to last time).
> > 3) increased pace of development, faster than any comparable
> > product/project.
>
> I think #2 is the most distinct for this release, but has the downside
> of comparing ourselfs to others rather than focusing on our own
> accomplishments.  It would be nice if 1 and 2 could be merged.

In previous releases of PostgreSQL, we have normally been able to add 1 or 2
signifigant features per development cycle. In this release cycle however, we
have seen tremendous growth in our community in both individual developers
and corporate development sponsors, and have been able to add 4 "blockbuster"
features (win32, pitr, savepoint, tablespaces)  while still provding several
performance enhancements for large scale deployments (arc, bgwriter),
enhancing the application development experience (alter column type), and
adding to the growing list of complimentary tools and applications
(slony,pgpool,pljava) that make postgresql a great replacement for other high
end proprietary systems.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL