I/O Bug

From: "Ken Egervari" <ken(at)upfactor(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: I/O Bug
Date: 2004-08-17 20:47:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi,

I've been using Postgres version 8 beta and while everything has been
perfect so far, I've noticed that I get a connection reset error when the
database is hit pretty hard.  For instance, I have several unit tests in
Java running DBUnit and it inserts and cleans up the database state after
every test case.  After many test cases, it eventually makes the database
crash.  I'm using the latest JDBC 3 driver that comes with the version 8
installer at PGFoundry.   Below is a stackstace in Java on what's happening
after 220 test cases have run.  All other test cases give the same exception
as Postgres needs time to load back up again unless I'm only testing under
200 test cases.  Have you guys heard of this before from other testers?  Is
there a fix?  Thanks.

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while reading from
backend - Exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Stack Trace:

            at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)

            at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)

            at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:201)

            at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.ReceiveChar(PGStream.java:166)

            at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnectionV3(AbstractJdbc1C
onnection.java:291)

            at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Con
nection.java:213)

            at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:139)

            at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512)

            at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)

            at
com.upfactor.core.test.ResourceTestCaseDetails.getDatabaseConnection(Resourc
eTestCaseDetails.java:59)

            at
com.upfactor.core.test.ResourceTestCase.getConnection(ResourceTestCase.java:
62)

            at
org.dbunit.DatabaseTestCase.executeOperation(DatabaseTestCase.java:84)

            at org.dbunit.DatabaseTestCase.setUp(DatabaseTestCase.java:104)

            at
com.upfactor.rns.service.BusinessServicesTest.setUp(BusinessServicesTest.jav
a:36)

            at junit.textui.TestRunner.doRun(TestRunner.java:116)

            at
com.intellij.rt.execution.junit2.IdeaJUnitAgent.doRun(IdeaJUnitAgent.java:57
)

            at junit.textui.TestRunner.start(TestRunner.java:172)

            at
com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.TextTestRunner2.startRunnerWithArgs(TextTest
Runner2.java:23)

            at
com.intellij.rt.execution.junit2.JUnitStarter.prepareStreamsAndStart(JUnitSt
arter.java:97)

            at
com.intellij.rt.execution.junit2.JUnitStarter.main(JUnitStarter.java:31)

            at
)

            at
.java:25)

            at
com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:78)

End of Stack Trace

[...]

            at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.ReceiveChar(PGStream.java:172)

[...]

  • Re: I/O Bug at 2004-08-18 17:40:27 from Richard Huxton

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Robert E. BruccoleriDate: 2004-08-17 21:15:54