Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header

From: "Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: bruc(at)acm(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, hubert(dot)froehlich(at)bvv(dot)bayern(dot)de
Subject: Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header
Date: 2004-08-17 16:53:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom,
Besides a no optimization compilation of 7.4.3, what else
would you recommend to explore this problem further? Thanks. --Bob

Tom Lane writes:

> "Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com> writes:
> > Question: were there any significant changes made to the
> > buffer management code between 7.4 and 8.0 that would explain the
> > difference?
>
> There are some nontrivial changes, but none that I would regard as
> likely to cause a multiprocessing error to magically go away. More
> to the point, if there is such a bug in 7.4.3 there's no guarantee
> it won't come back again.
>
> > I haven't tried rerunning 7.4.3 without optimization to see if
> > the problem disappears in that release. Since the 8.0beta1 release
> > appears OK, and the test run takes about three days, so I'm reluctant
> > to do it unless there's some value in performing test. Please tell me
> > if there is.
>
> If you believe this is not a hardware problem, you'd better keep
> digging. There is no known reason for 7.4 to fail like that.
> It would be folly to assume that we've fixed the problem without
> knowing it.
>
> > Another question: on a machine which has this high level of
> > parallelism, does it make sense to use a spinlock to control access to
> > the buffer cache instead of a lightweight lock?
>
> No. The angst you've probably been reading is focused around the
> spinlock part of the LWLock --- simplifying the LWLock to a bare
> spinlock will not improve matters.
>
> regards, tom lane

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| President, Congenair LLC | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| P.O. Box 314 | Phone: 609 818 7251 |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |