Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-15 05:51:58
Lists: pgsql-novice
You've been very helpful.  Carlo inadvertently typed "pg-ctl" instead of "pg_ctl".  The latter worked flawlessly once you explained the structure of cygdrive so that I could get to the correct file.  I don't think his cygdrive folder callout was right since he left out "/cygwin/var" in the callout.
Carlo also seems to think that postmaster is in /usr/bin (empty) when  it is really in /bin.  I will ask him if he set up his tutorial so that I should move the file to /usr/bin or if I should adjust the code to reflect just /bin.
When I type in
Owner$ cygrunsrv --start postmaster
I get Win32 error: 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure (using Owner)
When I type in
postgre$ cygrunsrv --start postmaster
I get Win32 error 5: Access is denied.
Does anyone have any ideas?
PS - I don't really want to run PGSQL as a service, but that is how Carlo's tutorial is set up and I don't know enough to modify it.  My first step is just to get something running.  If you can let me know how to set it up so that it isn't a service and let me know how to start and stop the appropriate programs, I'd be happy to learn something new.
PSS - I installed PGSQL on WinXP just fine, too, but I had no clue how to run it since it didn't start when I tried to start it the WinXP way.  In addition, the Wrox book I'm using is out of date and all the examples will be based on a Cygwin installation (out of date, no less!) so it will make my life a little easier when I follow the book.  Hopefully it will help when I get set to move the db to a Linux platform.
PSSS - Thanks for the note on running just on a LAN.  I think a "-i" will enable LAN access and there is also a .conf file I can update so that it willl accept certain IPs that I specify.  However, this is strictly for development purposes right now and I have a ways to go before I will actually set this thing up so other machines will need to access it.

Do You Yahoo!?