Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-14 21:27:04
Lists: pgsql-novice
After I successfully ran initdb, I typed in
pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data
and received the following error:
bash: pg-ctl command not found.
Also, can someone explain the "cygdrive" directory nomenclature?
Does /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data - C:cygwin/var/postgresql/data?

operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Andreas and all,
Thanks to all the people who have tried to help.  I think my biggest mistake wasn't signing up here as soon as I started this project.
I'm going back to try and install and run PGSQL 7.4.3 on WinXP Home using CYGWIN.  First, I want to learn a little more about the UNIX syntax since I will ultimately be putting my database on a Linux based server.  Second, my guess is there is a much larger knowledge base here given that method has been around for quite some time.
I used Carlo's tutorial as my base source of knowledge...
initdb faltered until Carlo suggested I do the following in addition to his online tutorial:
chmod 755 /usr/bin/postgres chmod 755 /usr/bin/postmaster

chown postgres /usr/bin/postgres
chown postgres /usr/bin/postmaster
I enter this at the same time I enter
chown postgres /var/postgresql/data
in Carlo's tutorial.
When I do all the above (including everyithing in Carlo's tutorial):
initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

works just fine.
However, when I type in the three lines of code
cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown
in his tutorial I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073: The specified service exists already.

When I type in
cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster
I get the following error:

cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure

Carlo suggested I try
pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data -l logfile

and I will do so shortly and let everyone know the results.
Also, if I'm using cygserver, do i need to install cygipc, too?

Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com schrieb:

> I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on
> my laptop besides database development. I want to manually start and
> stop the program.

I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't matter.
Even a service can be manually started, if you define it as "manual"
instead of "automatic" in the service-dialoge of Windows.

Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards in a cmd-window with
NET START postmaster
NET STOP postmaster
to ... well ... stop it ;)

I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you let it run into
system shutdown since Windows will stop running services automatically.

TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space ma p settings

Do You Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?